August 14, 2019
GFPS Native American Program Committee Meeting Minutes | Monday, August 14, 2019
Present: Chad Ward, Brent Jiran, Sonya Anderson, Breanna Van Grinsven, Sloan Henry, Harmony Bercier, Courtney Ceroll, Brian Loe, Suraya Driscoll
Opening The regular meeting of the GFPS Native American Parent Committee was called to order at 12:10 p.m. on Wednesday, August 14, 2019 in Conference Room 2 at Mark Sanford Education Center.
Approval of Agenda. The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed, with the approval of minutes at the next meeting.
- Indian Education Grant was approved Taunya will send and/or bring the award letter with the final amount.
- Joint Administration meeting is at the end of September, Brian Loe will present.
- The Board has invited Sterling and Ashley to attend an NAPC meeting to introduce themselves and talk about what they plan to do for the coming year.
- Suggestions were made to meet at alternate times other than day time, creates a conflict with parent work schedules.
- Suggested using the Remind App to inform parents of events and meetings.
- JOM- Sisseton Wahpeton Oyate motioned in July to be a pass-through tribe.
- Received $10,000 from Turtle Mountain, this will be an annual gift, and $15,000 from Shakopee.
- Would like to host a Tribal Day, where all surrounding tribes come to visit and tour schools, have dinner, and we present of students/parents struggles/issues, with the hopes of gaining additional support.
- Chad received a laptop-a brand new one will be ordered for end of year to use next year.
- Salary - in July, Jody had Chad’s review expedited, he did receive an increase in pay.
- Families have asked about gift cards, they are not in the polices but are not trackable for audits.
- There are 282 children that have a 506 on file.
- Sonya Anderson adjourned the meeting at 1:46 p.m. The next general meeting will be at Mark Sanford Center from 12-2 p.m. Date TBA.